Monday, September 8, 2008

Elements of Style, Whoopdie Doo

Elements of style ay? Oh look at me, I'm Jared Silfie, and I keep a copy of the Elements of Style book on me at all times because I'm such a perfect writer that I look up every single sentence to make sure that it is correct before I publish anything on my Uber cool blog. Give me a break, you know what I think this says about his writing? It's stiff and it's boring. He's like a robot. I know that with journalism everything is supposed to be spelled correctly and that every sentence is supposed to be gramatically correct, but give me a break. Writing today is about feelings and emotions, it would take me all day to write a piece if I had to look up exactly how to write every single sentence. I'm sure he's a great writer and everything, but he's not going to appeal to the younger generation. They want controversy and confrontation, feelings and emotions, and we all know that robots can't express that.

1 comment:

jenny atwater said...

I agree that writing is about emotion and observation, but if you can't form a sentence properly, no one is going to read past your first line.
Picasso did not start out with abstracts. Check out his early work. He had to understand the master painters before he could go off on his own. :)